Sunday, September 17, 2006

Red Hot Chili Peppers

People who are gonna sit at a rock concert, should stay home! I say this because there were a lot of people sitting down for the concert, when I know tons of people who would have loved to go and would have danced to the music the whole night. Other than those downers, they were fantastic!!

Flea and John Frusciante are my new crushes (sorry Anthony, but your voice can't compare to their fingers). The music was so beautiful, clean, exquisite, and rife with craftmanship. Not sure if that's the proper word, but the music was so electrifying. I never knew guitars could sound like that. Plaintive, wailing, screaming, going straight to your soul.


I bought my first ever concert t-shirt, since I got $20 from a total stranger. How could that have happened? Well, we were standing outside in a huge line-up to get into the Saddledome, and these 2 guys went to the people in front of us and asked if they, for $20, could cut in front of them. They were really nice, and said "You'll have to ask them" (meaning me and my sis).

So they asked us if they could cut in front of us for $20, and I was like "Yah!" I'm Asian, and I know free money when I see it. After they cut in front, one dude's like "man, you're so stupid, we could've cut in line up there" as we weren't very close to the front. It was pretty funny and I was elated with the fact that I'd just made $20 easy bucks. So that's why I bought my t-shirt. Hooray!

Otherwise, the Mars Volta (who opened) were pretty awesome as well, very trippy, ambient, complex music. And the vocalist had enormous range. Quite different from the Chili Peppers, but very cool. It's too bad that the stadium was mostly empty. Some people are so closed minded to other music other than what they paid to see.

Did I mention that they started promptly at 7:30 as well? The Chili Peppers started their set at 9:00, and I was quite impressed with their punctuality.

I remember going to boy band concerts and waiting for what felt like eternity for the bands to perform. But even then, they'd prolong their entrance and drag it out so the girls would scream even louder. This concert had none of that diva-ness. It was straight up, to the point and non-gimmicky. Pretty awesome.

The only thing I'm disappointed with....Anthony Kiedis didn't ad-lib very much....lots of the songs sounded pretty much like they do on the cd, while still great, not what you wanna hear in concert.

The other disappointment....he didn't take his shirt off. Alannah thinks it's because he's getting too old for that shit. He had a black vest on over a white tank top, so the black vest came off, but alas, the tank stayed on (much to my disappointment). Too bad.

Maybe next time.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome concert! Glad you had fun!!

Lucy Chen said...

Woot!

Sounded like it was awesome!! Did they play Dani California?

sigh. I havent been to a concert in ages. Hopefully another super cool band will make their way to Calgary and we can hit it up.

Ptilonyssus said...

I agree, people should dance at a concert, esp the Chili Peppers. Come on, it's not like they are Kenny G. I had bad seats for System of a Down but I still stood up the whole time and rocked it a bit.

Wayne

Jo said...

Dude! Very jealous! RHCP are wicked!

Viv said...

RHCP played in Saskatoon last night . . . and I missed it! Sounds like it was an awesome concert. No worries about not getting a callback. Now you can feel like a real actress. Didn't they all wait tables and have menial jobs and limited success with auditions until they struck it big? And look at them now!