Saturday, November 04, 2006

office space

I've gone and created a "situation" at work....

2 producers from Citytv are supposed to move out of their office, and into our new open area. Since my co-worker and I have moved into said open-area, their office door's been closed all day, presumably b/c we're too noisy.

having to sit with them means we won't be able to talk amongst ourselves. we'd actually have to sit and work. uh-uh.

so I go to my supervisor and ask him if he can change this, and let us sit with people from our department, rather than ppl from Citytv. he says he'll see what he can do.

so he fights for us (me and Barb) and then he comes to me all frustrated.
"who's idea was it to move ___ and ___ to sit by you guys? You and Barb?"
"yeah. why?"
"well, ____ doesn't want to move. He likes where he is. And I just told *the big boss* that I thought you should all be together."
"well I never said I talked to ____. it was just an idea. I didn't think he wouldn't want to move."

basically, my supervisor fought to have things go my way, when it turns out the guy we want to move by us, doesn't want to sit with us. feeling kinda rejected. and also feeling like I messed things up. I feel really stupid. and really bad.

to my head it makes sense. why should Barb and I sit with producers from another station, when we could sit with other people from our department and actually have brainstorming sessions and discuss ideas openly without feeling like we were being a distraction.....?

but alas, someone's always gonna be unhappy. this time it's ____, but me as well. why do I always cause so much drama?

2 comments:

Jo said...

Dude, that sucks. Don't feel too badly. We all see your point. It seems so logical!
Maybe the person you wanted to move by you guys didn't reject the plan. Maybe he simply said he didn't want to cause a kerfuffle and would be happy either way, whatever was easiest- which would be staying where he is now.
At any rate, don't worry! Someone's bound to cause new office gossip within the next week and then this will all be forgotten...

Viv said...

I'm with Jo. The person who didn't want to move probably has some logical but lame reasoning behind it. And if not, then !$&% him! He can be a loner and sit in his box all by himself!

As Jo said though, surely office politics and gossip will come up with something more sensational this week than seating arrangements! And if it doesn't, then maybe it's time to bring out that good ole poop stick and give things a good stir. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what you could do. You've got a pretty creative mind, I'm sure you can think of something!

Best of luck!